Social media can impact the entire continuum of hiring, recruiting, and talent branding for a company.
It shouldn't start and end with a post about a job listing.
Below are some opportunities at each step of the way.
Job Listing and Recruiting
- Where are job openings listed?
- Which social media channels are used?
- Which job boards are used?
- How does the company pursue diverse talent?
- How does the company partner with others to find talent?
- What people or communities would not know about the company?
Job Application Process
- Do applicants get ghosted at any step of the way?
- What is the balance of automated and personal communications?
- Does the team focus on people or resumes?
- Is an automated tracking system (ATS) used? Is it too restrictive?
- Don't ghost candidates. Close the loop. Let them know if you have changed the role or narrowed down the candidates.
- Give as much context and feedback as possible, at each step of the way. Why weren't they a fit for the role? Was it due to a skills or experience gap?
- Highlight areas of strength and areas of improvement
- When genuine, invite candidates to apply again in the future
- Put yourself in the shoes of a candidate
- Do the right thing
Being part of the company
- What is the onboarding experience like? Does it tie into social media?
- Interactions with members of the human resources, recruiting, and/or talent brand team
- Interactions with the marketing, PR, and/or communications team
- Employee policies
- Company social media policy
- Social media toolkits
- Social media training sessions
- Social media council or committee
- Company culture - are employees happy? Do they want to share their experience?
- Why do people leave the company?
- How are employee departures communicated internally?
- How are employee departures communicated externally?
- What do the company's reviews look like on Glassdoor and other websites?
- Is there a process for the company and for teams?
Employee Alumni Support
- Will the company help the employee transition?
- Is there an alumni network or community?
- Company resources, portal, LinkedIn, support for finding new jobs, referral
- Is there anything that would make employees want to come back?
Latinx Design Directory
c0ffe3 Network on LinkedIn
Airbnb's Talent Directory
Intention vs. Action in Diversity and Inclusion Recruiting
5 Ways You Can Help Create an Inclusive Workplace for Your Employees
Thank you for reading this note! If you found it helpful, please share it and follow or connect with me to learn more.
See more Field Notes here.